Federal law defines a "limited English proficient" (now known as an “English Leaner”) student as a student:
- who is aged 3 through 21;
- who is enrolled or preparing to enroll in an elementary school or secondary school;
- who was not born in the United States or whose native language is a language other than English;
- who is a Native American or Alaska Native, or a native resident of the outlying areas; and
- who comes from an environment where a language other than English has had a significant impact on the individual's level of English language proficiency; or
- who is migratory, whose native language is a language other than English, and who comes from an environment where a language other than English is dominant; and
- whose difficulties in speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language may be sufficient to deny the individual —
- the ability to meet the State's proficient level of achievement on State assessments;
- the ability to successfully achieve in classrooms where the language of instruction is English; or
- the opportunity to participate fully in society.
King William County Public Schools (KWCPS) has a Language Instrucion Education Program (LIEP) that provides services to EL students based on his or her grade level and level of English proficiency (as determined by his or her WIDA ACCESS for ELLs® 2.0 overall English Proficiency score or WIDA screener score). Students with limited or interrupted formal education (SLIFE) may receive additional weekly support such as language and mathematics instruction during or after-school by a reading specialist, adult tutor, or peer tutor.
KWCPS LIEP staff is dedicated to ensuring all EL students are academically successful, obtain college and career readiness skills, and gain the communication skills necessary to successfully participate in the greater community. Our staff welcomes all students and their families to be a part of our LIEP family!
Contact Susan Benitez, ESL teacher, at email@example.com or Amy Siepka, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.